SharkSafe BarrierTM successfully bio-mimics the visual effects of a kelp forest, and combines this with a series of permanent magnetic stimuli, to form a barrier that dissuades sharks from passing through. The SharkSafe BarrierTM can be the first 100% effective eco-friendly technology to protect humans from sharks without harming the marine life.
- The SharkSafe BarrierTM does not affect marine life such as seals or bony fishes that naturally utilize kelp forests as effective refuge areas. The SharkSafe BarrierTM scientific testing was developed in three phases: (1) magnets as shark deterrents (2) visual and magnetic barrier deterrents and (3) exclusion capability of the barrier. All the phases of this study demonstrated that the SharkSafe BarrierTM successfully manipulate the swimming patterns of all interacting sharks and were published in peer review scientific journals.
- We deployed prototypes in South Africa and the Bahamas, attracted the sharks with chum, to motivate them to go through it and observed that none of them (84 white sharks and 41 bull sharks) swam through the barrier. By installing the SharkSafe BarrierTM around a beach, beachgoers will be protected and the marine life will not be harmed.
- With the exclusion tests in South Africa and The Bahamas we could prove that SharkSafe BarrierTM can effectively keep sharks away from a food source. This was the last step of the scientific tests to prove that SharkSafe BarrierTM can effectively protect a swimming area, by keep sharks separated from people.
- The SharkSafe Barrier TM design is suitable for many different locations. It can undertake strong waves and currents, and has had a 100% success rate of keeping highly motivated sharks out.
- While all other technologies in use affect large marine animals, excluding them for the “protected zone”, our technology is the only one that is shark-specific, since it allows other marine animals to freely swim through it.
- SharkSafe BarrierTM has proven to resist swells as high as 8 metres, and has been maintenance free for the past 2 years in full scale tests in Gansbaai (South Africa).
- SharkSafe BarrierTM can be deployed at different depths (from 0 to 12 meters), making it the ideal solution for protecting both swimmers and surfers. The elongated elements (pipes) can be adapted to any depth, since the units can be built in different sizes, and are flexible enough to allow boats and divers to easily go through. The SharkSafe BarrierTM is also the first technology that was invented by bio-mimicking the habitat naturally avoided by large sharks (it creates a visual barrier between sharks and humans, by utilizing the natural instinct of sharks the avoiding entering a thick kelp forests). The addition of a strong magnetic fields adds an extra safety measure, since large magnets have proven to be strong deterrents for shark species.
More technical information:
From an engineering perspective SharkSafe BarrierTM technology has achieved the following objectives:
- The pipe material was changed from PVC to LDPE (Low-density polyethylene) which does not require toxic plasticizer such as the vinyl chloride monomer (contained in the PVC).
- The pipe design was reduced to two feasible options – deployed in Shark Alley in August 2015. They still show no signs of damage two years later.
- The buoyancy of the pipes was measured and tested with different options (pool noodles, foam and air bottles) and the longest lasting solution proved to be air bottles.
- The design for the anchorage system was completed for rock substrates
It is our mission for the SharkSafe BarrierTM to be deployed worldwide in all areas currently facing the threat of shark attacks.
We hope to see our innovation moving the world into a greener direction.